Prevent Dry, Irritated Eyes from Computer Use
With how prevalent digital devices are in everyday life, it is no surprise an estimated 50% of computer users experience digital eye strain. This condition can cause discomfort, headaches, and dry eyes with extended computer time.
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty focusing
- Tired eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Dry eyes
- Watery eyes
- Neck & shoulder pain
Digital Eye Strain Causes
The continuous act of focusing on a single task is one of the main causes of digital eye strain. This can include driving or reading for long periods.
Eye strain is common when using a computer or other digital device, especially for more than 2 hours. An undiagnosed refractive error may contribute to eye strain, so it is important to have your eyes assessed if you experience any related symptoms.
Our habits and environment can contribute to digital eye strain. When using computers, we typically:
- Blink less
- Use devices with glare or poor contrast
- Adopt poor posture
- View screens from poor distances & angles
Treating Digital Eye Strain
Thankfully, eye strain does not pose any serious risks or long-term consequences, but it can make computer work uncomfortable. Changing your working habits can help prevent future eye strain. Resting your eyes can help with any immediate discomfort:
- Remember to blink.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule; every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break to look at something at least 20 feet away.
- Adjust your brightness and contrast to match your room lighting.
- Reduce screen glare by positioning your screen away from windows and bright lights.
- Use proper body positioning while on a computer.
Come See Us Today
Experience full-spectrum eye care at Stanford Ranch Optometry.
There’s lots of parking available at our location at Stanford Ranch Village mall.
- 2351 Sunset Blvd., Suite #190
- Rocklin, CA 95765
Hours Of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed